Tuesday 31 August 2010

Catching fish

Monday 30th August: Today was another new day. After breakfast I went to see what was on the other side of the river. As always, I was excited to see a bridge that would take me there. I sat for a while in the sun and gathered a few pine cones before going back and continuing with the day.

Today the wind was too stong for flying, so the Pilot and I decided that we could go fishing. We didnt have a fishing rod or a permit, but didnt think it would be too hard to get hold of one. My dad used to take my sister and I fishing in the sea when we were little. I dont remember catching anything, but the experience was great. Just spending time with my dad was a precious moment as he worked very hard when we were little to give us the life we hard. I am always grateful for that.

The fishing permits, we found out, were 15 euros per day, and not having a fishing rod yet, we thought we would wait a while. The nearby shops were selling them for 90 euros and so we got back at the campsite to see if anyone knew of where we could get cheaper. We found out that if we drove to Digne les Bains, an hour away, we could go to Decathlon and we could get them for 30 euros. It was music to our ears and so we drove there. It was nice to get to spend some time together after all the flying.

We arrived there and after much deliberation, we found what we needed. Even the maggots! We put them in the fridge on a shelf of their own, I didnt want them munching their way through the things we had bought at the Carrefour. Meanwhile, I had bought a portable three-legged stool to sit on whilst I was on my mini cycling adventures. I didnt want to get bitten again! Then we had a Mcdonalds. It's probably th 5th time in my whole life that Ive had Mcdonalds. I suppose Im not a burger kinda girl. I used to eat KFC on some Friday nights though! My two dear friends, Michele and Andrea would take me there during our Friday nights out when we were about 17. They were good days!

When we got back, we found some people who drove us to the lake to try out our new purchase. It was cold and we didnt catch anything, but sitting on the Pilot's lap whilst waiting for something to bite the line was very special. Between us, we shared the heat that we both needed to keep warm. It was a good moment.

After resigning ourselves to the fact, that no fish would be caught today, we went back to the warmth of the snail.

No comments:

Post a Comment