Wednesday 1 September 2010

The heater saved my cold nose

Tuesday 31st August: I woke up at various times in the night like an icebox. Apparently it was -2 outside according to a lady who was camping in a tent last night.I had already slept with my clothes on, but it did nothing to warm me up. After seeking the heat from my personal hot water bottle, the heater went on. It was wonderful. Just wonderful! I couldn't get out of bed after that. I was truly toasty, after a night in the fridge! The hot shower that followed helped me regain some kind of normality and my throbbing headache from yesterday was starting to go.

Sitting in the warmth of the sun, I started to upload some photos onto the Internet. It me ages as I had about a million. Trying to be selective without boring people can be tough, but after a few hours I had narrowed them down!

I spent the day at the campsite and after a very comforting phone call from my sister and her boyfriend I relaxed in the sun. Knowing the people you love care about you is priceless. Its in time of need that you really do know who you can count on. I hope they know how much they mean to me, and their words mean everything to me.

After a day of uploading and the warmth of the sun, the Pilot landed 84th in goal. There is a very high level of experience at this competition and it shows. To fly better, some pilots take ballast, some with water bottles to make them heavier. Apparently, it means that in strong winds you can fly faster. Some take heavier weights than others and fly faster. Im not sure thats fair really, but there you go. When the Pilot landed he looked exhausted which worried me a bit. Two pilots had to deploy their reserves yesterday, but they are ok, no injuries thank God. I have to try not to think about these things. I suppose in a competition it's easier to be retrieves by the organisers. Its when we are by ourselves that I worry about what I will have to do in that situation. I hope I am strong enough to deal with that if it happens. I will have to be. Occupational hazard I suppose!

After a bit of supper we cycled to the centre of town. There was a musical event there, and I was looking forward to spending some quality time together just the two of us. Its difficult these days because there is so much for him to do. I suppose that's just part of it all.

We arrived as it began, and there wasnt many people there, just the locals. There was a lady singing and two guys behind her with a keyboard and a guitar. It was just lovely. I suddenly felt quite sad, because I know my mum would have loved to be watching this. She loves music. I get on really well with my mum and she's a really good person. I see myself in her and I think she sees herself in me. When we are together, we talk non stop about everything and nothing. She's a good friend and Im lucky to have that kind of relationship with her. When I was home, if I didnt speak to her everyday, we spoke twice a day. Same things sometimes, we used to say 'nothing else to report', but it was in those times that we spoke, we shared the events of our day. In some way, she was where I was, and I was with her. I miss that very much. Here. its just me and none of the people I care about to be myself with. Its hard to keep on trying regardless. Maybe I need a bit of time away, which is crazy, as I spend most of my time alone.


One of the things Im trying to do on this trip is try something different. Especially when it comes to drinking  (not necessarily alcohol!) Whilst in Slovenia, tried some really yummy drinks. One was called 'Lasko dark' Its a dark beer and was quite nice. I dont really drink lager. After 4 years at university drinking pinks of lager and lime, I went off it. Drinking pints was part of the culture there, but I dont think I could drink that way now. I also tried a drink called 'Gingerino', which looked lovely but tasted horrible. I like ginger and thought it would be like ginger beer. It wasnt. It had that sharp taste you get after drinking tonic water. I dont like tonic water at all! So that was that drink. Last night I tried 'Poire Williams' I have always wanted to try it I used to work in a wine shop whilst I was in university and I almost know every drink there is, although have never tasted them. I imagined the sweet taste of pears swirling around my mouth. I do love sweet drinks. I would go for a bottle of Lambrusco (as Maire knows) every time instead of something drier. I am a wine drinker now, I have Helen G to thank for that! We went to Rome together for work in 2007, and I loved every minute of spending time with her. She is one of those persons who can just lift you up, and her laughter is just priceless. She has seen me through many moments and I have probably cried in every room of the school we worked together over the past 7 years! She's a very genuine person and I love her dearly. She drives me mad at times, but Im sure I do the same to her!!

Anyway, back to the drinks. The Poire Wiiliamseverytime, then drowning it with a gulp of lemonade. I did this the 12 or more times it took me to finish the drink. ewwwwww! Not for me, I think I will stick to the liquors for now, much sweeter. I love amaretto, but its a bit dangerous. I remember the last night before leaving work, spending some good times with good friends. Once I decide amaretto is one the evening's cards, I can drink it for ages. I remember the next morning wondering how I was going to get through my last day with a hangover. It seemed such a good idea at the time though! I didnt care because I was with the people I care about, that really can make all the difference. I have been blessed with getting to know them, and them getting to know me. 7 years is a long time to spend in one place. It was also a very special and rare place. When you work together with people, there is always the danger of mixing pleasure with business. I never had to worry though. They saw me for the teacher I was and the person I was outside of that. I never felt like I had to apologise or justify the things I did personally or professionally. They made that possible. I could cry and share my deepest secrets to them, and then turn up for work, and it would be ok. The children we taught would come first, and that was always important for all of us. Yes, a very rare and very special place. I thought that when I left, things would change, but actually, I know that I shall never lose that. The people who touch your lives truly do leave footprints in your heart. I love them all for that.

We came back from our musical evening because it had started to get cold. Cycling back in the wind was
not enjoyable, but when we arrived back, I was given a warm sleeping bag to put on top of me, and I slept well for the first time in ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment