Thursday 2 September 2010

Butterflies in the sky

Wednesday 1st September: I did it. I whole month away travelling. Ups and downs? Plenty. Sights seen? Plenty. Wine consummed. Ahem ...plenty!

Another sunny day after a great nights sleep, it was just what I needed with enough warmth in my heart to keep me going for a while!

I wondered whether todayI could be able to go to the top of the hill where all the pilots take off. There are a few minibuses here which transport the pilots up to the take off. After a they were all up, a great guy called Mick was able to give me a lift up there.

When I arrived, I found most of the pilots had already unpacked and waiting patiently, ready for their briefing. I weaved my way for a few minutes through paragliders and pilots to find mine.I placed a kiss gently on his forehead and he smiled. So did I. It was then I was glad  I had made the choice to come up here.


We waited for a while and then all the pilots met together for the briefing, where the organisers spoke about wind conditions, explained coordinates and lots of stuff I really didnt understand. But at one point with 150 pilots putting in the turnpoint coordinates into their GPS, it sounded like 150 R2D2's!!



A little more waiting for the 'window'. Then within a few minutes, the Pilots around me grabbed their wings and took off. The colours in the sky altogther were amazing, it was like dancing butterflies in the sky. Truly amazing. I took a few photos, but it couldnt be compared to the naked eye. Yes, truly amazing.

I watched and waited for my Pilot to get his helmet on, sort out his radio before putting his gloves on and taking his position. I really do admire him you know. I know that this is his passion. Its very hard for me to understand or comprehend sometimes, but I know that I love him and respect his passion.

He takes off to join his fellow butterflies and I am left by myself once more on the top of the hill. I follow him as he glides first this way, and then that, before he is up with the others, a myriad of colours, a crescendo of beauty.

I wish I had the words to convey the feeling I experienced at that most, it was almost spiritual. It was as if all the oceans collided and poured over me, it was beautiful!

I stayed by the landing field to take some photos of his landing. He did much better in todays task. He's 49th. Im not sure how they calculate the final distance, but I will find out.

I ended the evening with a bit of 'me' time and catch up on friends. I took a 3 litre box of wine with me (which wasnt quite a good idea) because I ended up stumbling back to the snail. I took forever to find the right key to unlock the door when finally it was opened from inside. We played 'Escoba' and although I won a game, I lost the next. 5:2 to the pilot. huhhhhhhh!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment