Wednesday 18 August 2010

Week 2


Monday 9th August 2010: We were slowly coming to an end to the preparation stages. Although we left the UK last week, it doesn’t really seem that we are on the adventure. Planning this trip has taken many months. After I decided at the end of April, there have been so many things that had to be sorted out before we could go.
Today was the day to have the alarm fitted. It means we can sleep inside and if anyone tries to break in, the alarm will go off, or when we’re not in it too. It's a relief to have more safety aspects included.
Whilst this was going on in the morning, I decided to have a little ‘me’ time and went to the town centre to write some letters in the sunshine. It was good to be out.
In the late afternoon, we went to the summer house and his mum have us some fruit and vegetables for our journey. She had also been busy making jars of yummy things so that we wouldn’t starve. She’s a star! I would like to be able to talk to her more and develop a proper relationship. Everything I say to her seems very simple in comparison to what I want to say. She has been very good to me this week, especially as my head has been all over the place with many different silent thoughts. I hope she knows how appreciate I am to all the good things she has done. It makes me miss my mum even more.
I didn’t get a chance to say a proper goodbye to my family at home. Lots of things happened during the end of the month and it all seemed very frantic. It wasn’t made easier by my grandmother passing away in Spain. My mum left for the funeral before I left the UK. Although I was able to spend a little time with my Dad before I left, it wasn’t the same. I saw my sister as we were travelling back from the wedding, and she bought us the most amazing fish ’n’ chips. Yes, I miss them.
Tuesday 10th August 2010: We woke up early so that we could continue with our travelling. We said our goodbyes and set off for the Castle Mozne in the South. We wanted to get there by 14.00, which meant we could get to the Wieliczka Salt Mines by 19.00. We haven’t really had a chance to do some sightseeing, and so we thought we’d visit a few places on our way to Żywiec. The Pilot is meeting up with a few friends to fly a few sites in Poland before arriving in Slovenia for the Dutch Open Paragliding Competition for Saturday.

We stopped in a really cool place that I don't remember the name of. It was a yellow house that was open for viewing. We didn’t go in, but decided to stretch our legs around the garden instead.
When we got to Mozne, it was like looking at a fairy-tale castle. The turrets were truly amazing and the gargoyles around the tops were really great. We had a little time to explore the gardens before our guided tour.

After that, we had a little light lunch and continued on our way to the Wieliczka Salt Mines. Although the tour was in Polish, I had my own personal translator as always. We descended the 50 or more floors down to the first level. Over the next three hours, we walked along caves and passages ways. It almost seems impossible that this world is completely underground. 

Everything underground was made of salt. Even the statues. I was told by the Pilot to 'lick it' at various times, which was an offer I politely declined!  At one point we were laughing because we wanted to ask our tour guide'Excuse me, what's that statue made from?' 'And that one?' We thought it was funny!


At one of the levels was the most amazing Church. It was lit by candelabras and was just eye-popping!
The lift bringing us to the surface was like travelling in a time machine. I don't know how many metres we were down by the third level, but it was really, really far! I don't know if it was being below the ground, all the stress, or the copious amounts of cheese, chocolate and all the things that I’m not supposed to drink/eat, but all in all, it contributed to a migraine. My migraines start off with a little warning sign. It’s like when someone takes a photo of and you’re left with a little ‘flash’ image in your eye. Well, mine starts off like that, but the ‘flash’ starts getting bigger and bigger until this ‘aura’ covers most of my eyesight and then I cannot see. Then the most awful headache you can image follows. I have to have complete darkness or my eyes throb.
The first time it happened I was really scared, as you can imagine. I know what happens now, but I’m a bit annoyed as I haven’t had one for nearly ten years. The doctors said that it would be good to find out what the trigger was. I didn’t find out, I just cut out all the cheese/milk/chocolate/caffeine in my diet and I never had one since. Seeing as I have been having all of these again recently, its a safe bet its either one of them, or a combination. However, I don't want to have another one, and so I have ditched them all again for a quiet, migraine free life.
Wednesday 11th August 2010: We drove to Żywiec in the morning to meet up with two of the Pilot’s paragliding buddies. It was great to see them, especially as one of them I haven’t seen for two years. I remember the first time I came to Poland. The only person who could speak to me in English was my boyfriend. After a week here, we went to a club and I was introduced to him. Having someone else I could communicate with was great. The other buddy is doing a similar thing to us, only he started it first. He bought a van and converted it into a campervan. It looks really cool inside!









The three of them went to Żar, and flew off the top with some other Polish Pilots. We arrived at the top via cable car. You could walk up, but after yesterday’s migraine, I decided to play it safe for the day. It was unusual for my headache not to linger, but so far, it hadn’t shown up.
After they took off, I decided to continue my tanning process. For me it’s a very gradual process. I try very hard not to get burnt, and when I think enough is enough then I’m out of the sun for sure. 5 minutes one day, 10 the next, 15 the next and so on. It’s always guaranteed me a golden tan, rather than the compulsory redness following by the skin shedding to leave no effort of tan. Nope, not for me.
I remember when the summers were long. I would come back from London as take up residence in my mum and dad’s back garden with a few books. I would be out there developing my tan all summer. When I wasn’t in the sun, I was sitting on the Garden Swing. Happy days!
After some flying, we went to have a swim in the river. It was really cold, and although it stopped me, it didn’t stop the Pilot and his buddy from having a dip. I sat by the side under my sarong after a bit of tanning. No getting burnt for me thank you!








Thursday 12th August 2010: This morning we drove to Zar to Szczyrk. It is a small town with a huge cable lift. Off they went again for their flights, whilst I went exploring in the town.
After they had landed, we went to a BBQ with some other pilots who had flown that day and then went back to the comforts of our Snail.
Friday 13th August 2010: Left Poland early today and drove through the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria until we arrived to Slovenia at 20.00. It began to rain, something that would continue for a few days more.
Saturday 14th August 2010: Today was registration day. The Dutch Open starts today and finishes next Saturday. Depending on the weather, we may stay here for the next competition. The Pilot flew for a bit of practise as the tasks start tomorrow, and then we went to Kobarid on our bikes to explore.
Moving from one country when I can’t speak to another was a bit daunting. In the Slovenian shop we managed to buy some essentials, but no soya milk as yet. I have two from Poland. Should have bought more!
We stayed the night in the car park behind the bar. It was lovely and secluded, although the thunder and lightning storms woke us up at 03.00 and continued for about an hour. KABOOM!
Sunday 15th August 2010: Woke up today and decided to go to Mass. Today is a special day in my faith, its the Feast of the Assumption. It’s a day when Catholics celebrate Mary ascending into heaven. Also for most people in Spain called ‘Maria’ it’s a special day. I know lots of people with this name, so I spent the day calling to wish them a ‘Happy Saints Day’.
Another day of no flying tasks and so we went off to explore more of Kobarid. We went to an Italian War Cemetery which is built as memorial. It's up a really steep hill, but changing the gears on the bikes enabled us to cycle up with relative ease. Of course there were photos to take on the way, so it took me a bit of time to get the momentum going each time, but we managed it.
We came back to the bar to have a drink and to teach his buddies how to play ‘escoba’.

No comments:

Post a Comment