Tuesday 31 August 2010

The drive from Slovenia to France

Saturday 28th August: After sleeping by the side of the road for a few hours, we were ready to continue with our journey.

The scenery is intensely breathtaking everywhere I see. Its so different from anything I have ever experienced and I shall always keep these moments in my memory. Its hard to take photos as we drive and I would love to stop every now and again and experience the places we are passing through.

As the snail took us through the winding road in Italy, I was able to stop at a little book and antique market. I would have loved to buy the books I flipped through. Books are a very big part of my life. It allows me to escape into a different world, yet still remain who I am. After reading them however I am never the same person. The characters are true to me and I feel their joys and pain. I hope that my story will be as powerful when it is written one day. Its still hatching, so watch this space.

The rest of the drive through to France was quite scary for me. I have a very real fear of falling down a cliff. I have had countless nightmares as a child and young adult, and sometimes nowadays, of falling. Fear of falling. Very apt! Anyway, we drove for an hour up a very large hill, in a very large snail twisting and turning at every curve. I dont want to relive this experience too much, going through it was bad enough. But I was terrified, that should tell you enough. To say I was glad when we reached the bottom is an understatement.

We arrived at St Andre les Alpes about 17.00 to lots of Pilots registering for the British Open. It was comforting to hear a language you can understand, but even more comforting to be able to communicate back. That has been a very hard part of the adventure. Not being able to express yourself to those around me has left me feeling a shadow of a person at times. When I am strong, I can be quite resiliant, but there are just times when it is just to much for me. Back to being inside the coconut.
 
Its interesting to watch people communicate with each other. Meeting people for the first time, I watch people divulge little parts of themselves and listen to the stories of others. Its interesting watching facial expressions and listening to the laughter. Its a very simple process is communication. It can make a difference.

The wind here is cold and for the first time in weeks I have contemplated wearing long socks. My tan has developed nicely following my 'plan' of not getting burnt. Its working well. SF10 is all I have and its nearly finished. I must buy more!

I end the day wondering what this week will bring, I hope it will continue to make me stronger. There are times I wonder if it will? But, I put one foot forward everyday and hope that it will bring me closer to what my heart desires. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment